Office relocation requires a lot harder work than a home relocation.
You need to multitask by taking care of the several aspects of relocation, not to mention the regular office work too.
When you have some much of office moving work, you require the help of a checklist to keep the jobs aligned.
So, here it is – a comprehensive office moving checklist to ease your relocation.
Office Moving Checklist
- Decide on the Date and Time of Move: Unlike house moving, the date and time of office relocations play an essential role. Some do not want to disturb or sacrifice on the employees’ working hours and so would schedule the relocation on the weekend. On the other hand, if you are getting major help from the employees for the relocation, then scheduling it on a working day makes sense. Therefore, have a careful plan of when you want to relocate and decide the time of the move too. When choosing the time, ensure to check with the building manager about the allowable timings for the move. Some buildings allow relocation only at certain times when there will be a minimum disturbance to the other occupants of the buildings. In such scenarios, there is no way but to schedule your move around this time.
- Inform the Office Movers: In any city, there are certain moving companies who are known for their office relocation. Not every relocation company can do a good job at office relocation as it requires a lot more work and strategizing than a normal house move. Therefore, ask around and choose a good moving company that has a lot of experience with office relocation. Once you have chosen the relocation company, make sure to inform them about the date of the book at least three weeks before relocation and book them. You should also decide if you want to avail the packing and unpacking services and if you need any storage facilities or not. These details should be communicated to the office moving company weeks before the move.
- Designate the Tasks Internally: You can save some part of the relocation budget if you can get the things packed by the employees. You can create internal teams for relocation within the office and give them the charge of a part of the relocation work. For example, a team can be in charge of coordinating with the new building manager, another team can be the in charge of designing the packing method based on the unpacking rooms while another one can teach and watch over the employees about the right ways of packing. Encouraging the employees to pack their own desks and purge it as they see fit will cover a good portion of the relocation work. This will also save you from the hassles of spending an entire day on packing with the help of office movers.
- Create an Office Layout for the New Space: An office relocation is not just packing and moving the stuff to the new office space. It also involves planning the placement of the things you moved in that space before any of the stuff comes in. When the new space you move is entirely different from the old one, then a lot of planning needs to go in about the placement of the furniture, the rooms where each of the employees will sit in and where the removalists should place each of the boxes. This is where the moving committee will help. This team can visit the new space, get a blueprint of this office and plan where each of the things can go. This way, the office movers can directly place the furniture and electronic items in the respective rooms instead of misplacing it in different areas.
- Take Care of the Legal Work: Some organizations are supposed to change their business address in legal documents. Also, if you have a registered agent that takes care of the legal stuff on behalf of the organization, then it is crucial to inform them too.
- Inform the Vendors, Clients and Shareholders: You may have some vendors or clients who visit you occasionally at your office. Sometimes, you may have freelance employees who come in once every month or so. When you handle such people, it is vital to let them know of the move well beforehand. If you are moving interstate or moving across city borders, then you may have to let go of some of these vendors or clients in case if your business is local-dependent. For such companies, giving them at least a month’s notice before you cut off the services shows for reliability and helps to maintain your business reputation intact.
- Keep the Electronic Documents Safe: All companies have at least a few computers or laptops that need to be relocated on which you have essential information. Hence, to keep this sensitive information secure, keep them all protected by a strong password. If this information is something that shouldn’t be lost, then it is best to make a copy of it in a cloud or a physical storage device and relocate it on your own.
The part of the removal company plays a major role in keeping your office things safe.
That’s why many stress on choosing experienced removalists for the job.
Guest Post Contributed by: Moving Lover